DATE: July 15, 2014
Get movin' at Broward County Library!
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - Get your groove on during National Dance Day at Broward County Library. Launched in 2010 by So You Think You Can Dance co-creator and Dizzy Feet Foundation co-president Nigel Lythgoe, National Dance Day is an annual celebration that takes place on the last Saturday in July.
This grassroots campaign encourages Americans to embrace dance as a fun and positive way to maintain good health and fight obesity. NDD achieved national recognition when Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), a long-time proponent of healthy lifestyles, announced at a press conference on July 31, 2010, in Washington, D.C., that she was introducing a congressional resolution declaring the last Saturday in July to be the country’s official National Dance Day.
Celebrate Dance at Movement for National Dance Day: Events at Broward County Libraries:
- Wednesdays - Row, Row, Row Your Boat with Ms. Luz: Stories, finger plays, dances and song, ages 20-40 months with caregiver, 11 a.m. to noon, Riverland Library, 2710 W. Davie Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312, 954-357-7455
- July 19 - Tweens Club: Move To the Beat Dance Party! Ages 9-12, 2 to 3 p.m. Preregistration begins 7/5/14; call 954-357-5437, Young At Art Museum/Broward County Library, 751 SW 121 Avenue, Davie, FL 33325, 954-357-5437
- July 22 - Get Movin’, Get Groovin’, Get Active with Ronald McDonald, ages 3-10, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Large groups welcome but must pre-register, 954-201-2626. Free ticketed event for families. First come, first served. North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
- July 24 - Tommy the Train Summer Show presented by VIP Party Productions: Sing, read and dance with your favorite character. Snacks and free books. Sponsored by Friends of the Hollywood Libraries, ages 3-5, 1 to 2 p.m., Hollywood Library, 2600 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, FL 33020, 954-357-7760
- July 26 - Dance-A-Story - Storytelling with a Beat, all ages with caregiver, 2 to 3 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- July 26 - Red Hot Salsa Dancing - Learn and Join in with Gemini Danz! 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- July 26 - Zumba - Learn and join in with Gemini Danz, 1 to 2 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the largest library system in Florida by square footage and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use, and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. Broward County Libraries Division continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, Broward.org/Library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps, movies and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.