DATE: April 28, 2014
Celebrate seniors' contributions during Older Americans Month.
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - Each May, Broward County Library celebrates Older Americans Month as a way to recognize older Americans for their contributions and provide them with information to help them stay healthy and active. Older Americans are productive, active and influential members of society and Older Americans Month is the time to celebrate their vitality with great, free events at Broward County Library.
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the largest library system in Florida by square footage and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use, and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. Broward County Libraries Division continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, Broward.org/Library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps, movies and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.
- May 13 - Know the Ten Signs of Alzheimer's Disease, 2 to 3 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- May 15 - How Senior Centers Enhance Quality of Life for Older Adults, 1 to 2 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- May 16 - 1000 Places to See Before You Die, book talk with author Patricia Schultz, noon to 1 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- May 21 - Reel to Real Talk: Film Forum with Commentary, film in honor of Older Americans Month, 2 to 4:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- May 29 - Reel to Real Talk: Film Forum with Commentary, film in honor of Older Americans Month, noon to 2:30 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600