DATE: March 31, 2014
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - From April 13-19, Broward County Library joins libraries in schools, campuses and communities nationwide in celebrating National Library Week, a time to highlight the value of libraries, librarians and library workers.
Libraries today are more than repositories for books and other resources. Often the heart of their communities, campuses or schools, libraries are deeply committed to the places where their patrons live, work and study. Libraries are trusted places where everyone in the community can gather to reconnect and reengage with each other to enrich and shape the community and address local issues.
Librarians work with elected officials, small business owners, students and the public at large to discover what their communities needs are and meet them. Whether through offering e-books and downloadable movies, music and magazines, the new Creation Station makerspace, technology classes, materials for English-language learners, programs for job seekers, literacy training or cultural events, Broward County Library serves its customers in so many ways.
National Library Week Contest: Write an essay or poem and tell us how “lives change” at your library. Prizes! Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the largest library system in Florida by square footage and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use, and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. Broward County Libraries Division continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, Broward.org/Library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps, movies and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.
- April 1 - Writer's Critique Group, 5:30 to 7:45 p.m., West Regional Library, 8601 W. Broward Blvd., Plantation, FL 33324, 954-765-1560
- April 2 - Coral Springs Book Bunch: House Rules by Jodi Picoult, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- April 12 - Meet Author/Storyteller Lucia Gonzalez, all ages, 2 to 3 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- April 15 - Book Discussion: House Rules by Jodi Picoult,, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- April 16 - Foreign Film Series with Discussion and Commentary with Shelly Isaacs, 2 to 4:30 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
- April 16 - Sharkey's Storytime, ages 3-5 with caregiver, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- April 19 - "Stories, Magic and Drums - Cuentos, magia y tambores," pre-celebration to kick off of BookFest, 2 to 4 p.m., Hollywood Library, 2600 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, FL 33020, 954-357-7760
- April 19 - National Library Week Writing Contest Award Reception, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., to 4 p.m., South Regional/Broward College Library, 7300 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines, FL 33024, 954-201-8825
- April 22 - Librarian's Choice - Best Books of 2013, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., Tamarac Library, 8701 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33351, 954-765-1500
- April 25 - West Regional Book Club: The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., West Regional Library, 8601 W. Broward Blvd., Plantation, FL 33324, 954-765-1560