DATE: March 31, 2014
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - National Poetry Month is a month-long, national celebration of poetry established by the Academy of American Poets. The goal is to widen to the art of poetry, to living poets, to our complex poetic heritage and to poetry books and journals. The Academy of American Poets has led this initiative from its inception in 1996 and along the way has enlisted a variety of government agencies and officials, educational leaders, publishers, sponsors, poets and arts organizations to help. National Poetry Month is celebrated each April with the ideal of highlighting the legacy and achievement of American poets, introduce more Americans to the pleasure of reading poetry and increase support, reading and awareness of poetry.
National Poetry Month Events at Broward County Library:
- April 2 - Sharkey's Storytime, ages 3-5 with caregiver, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., first floor, Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- April 3 - Tales for Tots Rhyme Time: Rhyming Stories, Poems, Music & Movement for Ages 2 and 3 with a Caregiver to Celebrate National Poetry Month, 11 a.m. to noon, space is limited, Tamarac Library, 8701 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33351, 954-765-1500
- April 5 - Poetry Reading with Anastasia Clark, 2 to 4 p.m., Margate Catharine Young Library, 5810 Park Drive, Margate, FL 33063, 954-357-7500
- April 15 - Poetry Club, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., South Regional/Broward College Library, 7300 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines, FL 33024, 954-201-8825
- April 19 - AARLCC Open-Mic Poetry Contest, 2 to 5:30 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311, 954-357-6282
- April 21 - Poet Meryl Stratford, winner of the Ninth Annual Yellow Jacket Press Chapbook Contest for Florida Poets 2013, presents a reading and book signing from The Magician’s Daughter, 6:30 to 7:15 p.m.,Hallandale Beach Library, 300 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale, FL 33009, 954-357-6380
- April 24 - Poetry in Motion! In celebration of National Poetry Month! 4 to 5 p.m., Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library, 2800 N.W. 9 Court, Pompano Beach, FL 33069, 954-357-7670
- April 29 -Poetry Reading with Anastasia Clark, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Stirling Road Library, 3151 Stirling Road, Hollywood, FL 33312, 954-357-7550
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the largest library system in Florida by square footage and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use, and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. Broward County Libraries Division continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, Broward.org/Library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps, movies and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.