DATE: February 14, 2014
MEDIA CONTACT: Michael Mills
WHAT: BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. – In December T.Y. (Topeekeegee Yugnee) Park in Hollywood joined forces with Memorial Healthcare System to open the park’s new Memorial Fitness Zone – a set of nearly a dozen pieces of exercise equipment on concrete pads, including wheelchair-accessible units, designed for use by ages 14 and up. Memorial Healthcare donated funds for the equipment to commemorate its 60th anniversary, supplemented by additional funding from the Parks and Recreation Division.
Now T.Y. and Memorial are sponsoring Memorial Fitness Zone Instructional Workshops on a monthly basis, on the third Wednesday of the month. The schedule and topics for the remainder of the year are as follows:
- Feb. 19, 4 p.m. – Lower Body Strength
- Mar. 19, 4 p.m. – Upper Body Strength/Nutrition for the Active Person
- Apr. 16, 4 p.m. – Fitness Zone Choices for Disabled Persons
- May 21, 8 a.m. – Exercise Intensities for Weight Loss/Mommy & Baby – How It Can Be Done
- June 18, 8 a.m. – Core Integration – Key to a Healthy Lower Back
- July 16, 8 a.m. – Flexibility Using the Fitness Zone/Hydrating in South Florida
- Aug. 20, 8 a.m. – Suspension Training at the Fitness Zone
- Sept. 17, 8 a.m. – Change Your Routine
- Oct. 15, 4 p.m. – How To Track Your Progress
- Nov. 19, 4 p.m. – Pain – When Should I Stop?
- Dec. 17, 4 p.m. – Celebration of Health
WHERE: T.Y. (Topeekeegee Yugnee) Park
3300 N. Park Rd., Hollywood, FL 33021
WHEN: Third Wednesday of the month,
8 a.m. or 4 p.m., depending on date
WHO: For ages 14 and up.
For further information, call the park at 954-357-8811. T.Y. is accessible via Broward County Transit Routes #12 and #16.
Recreation. Preservation. Education.
Founded in February 1956 and accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies, Broward County Parks and Recreation Division manages almost 6,500 acres, encompassing nearly 50 regional parks and nature centers, neighborhood parks, and natural areas at various stages of development. Facilities include water parks, campgrounds, a target range, a stadium, a skate park, an observatory, mountain bike trails, an educational farm with stables, and a velodrome and other sports facilities. Hours and fees vary by location. For more information, visit Broward.org/Parks.
Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations in order to participate in programs, services, and activities must contact the Special Populations Section at 954-357-8170 or TTY 954-537-2844 at least five (5) business days prior to the scheduled meeting or event.