DATE: January 27, 2014
Teen Tech Week 2014's theme is "DIY@ your library."
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - Broward County Libraries will celebrate the 2014 Teen Tech Week from March 9-15 with the theme DIY @ your library! Teen Tech Week is when libraries make the time to showcase all of the great nonprint resources and services that are available to teens and their families.
During Teen Tech Week, teens can explore, create and share content. From maker spaces such as the Creation Station at Main Library to learning music conversion and DJ skills to creating computer jewelry, Broward County Libraries is leveraging the do-it-yourself theme to show how the library can connect in meaningful ways with teens in Broward County.
Free Teen Tech Week Events at Broward County Libraries
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of the Broward County's diverse community. The library continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, broward.org/library which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Historical Commission.
- March 4 - Teen Tech Tuesday: Learn the basics of music conversion and manipulation and how to DJ! 6 to 7 p.m., Lauderdale Lakes Library, 3580 West Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311, 954-357-8650
- March 8 - DIY@Your Library, 12:30 to 2 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
- March 10 - Teen Flipagram Contest, grades 6-12, 3 to 4 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- March 10 - Learn to be a DJ with the Virtual DJ LE Beamz Edition and the Beamz by Flo Unit, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library, 2800 N.W. 9 Court, Pompano Beach, FL 33069, 954-357-7670
- March 11 - Teen Tech Week: Celebrating technology for teens at our library: A texting competition, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., Hollywood Library, 2600 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, FL 33020 954-357-7760
- March 12 -Teen Computer Jewelry Program., grades 6-12, 3 to 4 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- March 12 - Do It Yourself @ Your Library, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- March 13 - Teen Photography Workshop, ages 13-18, 5 to 6 p.m., call 965-262-5477 to register, Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- March 15 - Teen Tech Week: Wii Games, Snacks & Fun for Ages 11 to 17, 2 to 3 p.m., Tamarac Library, 8701 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33351, 954-765-1500
- On Display March 6-13: Teen Photo Exhibit featuring works by Nova Southeastern University’s School of Digital Arts students, during library hours, Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center