DATE: December 20, 2013
Broward County Libraries honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - Broward County Libraries will honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at various special events held during the weeks surrounding the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. All Broward County Library locations will be closed on Monday, January 20, 2014 in honor of King.
King was an American clergyman, activist, humanitarian, and leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement. He is best known for his role in the advancement of civil rights using nonviolent civil disobedience, and is now one of the most important figure in the civil rights struggle. In celebration, Broward County Library will host the following events:
- January 13, MLK "Jeopardy" Game Reboot, Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library, 2800 N.W. 9 Court, Pompano Beach, FL 33069, 954-357-7670
- January 14 - Super Monday Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., all ages, 4 to 5 p.m., North Lauderdale Saraniero Library, 6901 Kimberly Blvd., North Lauderdale, FL 33068, 954-357-6660
- January 14 - Bringing Books to Life: Storytime and Craft, 3 to 4 p.m., Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library, 2800 N.W. 9 Court, Pompano Beach, FL 33069, 954-357-7670
- January 15 - Sharkey's Storytime: I Have a Dream! Ages 3-5 with caregiver, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- January 15 - Pre-school Story Time, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., North Lauderdale Saraniero Library, 6901 Kimberly Blvd., North Lauderdale, FL 33068, 954-357-6660
- January 15 - Martin Luther King, Jr. and Me: Stories and Crafts, ages 6-10, 3:30 to 4;30 p.m., Tamarac Library, 8701 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33351, 954-765-1500
- January 16 - Eyes on the Prize: Documentary chronicling the glory years of the American Civil Rights Movement, noon to 2 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
- Cinema Presentation in Honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, please call 954-367-7840 for film title, 3 to 4 p.m., Galt Ocean Mile Reading Center, 3403 Galt Ocean Drive,Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308, 954-357-7840
- January 16 - Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, children's program, 3 to 4 p.m., Lauderhill Towne Centre Library, 6399 W Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderhill, FL 33313, 954-357-6406
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use, and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. Broward County Libraries Division continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, Broward.org/Library which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.