DATE: December 12, 2013
Broward County Libraries offers free business resources for all.
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
Broward County, Fla. - Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief has declared that in 2014, the emphasis for Broward County agencies will be on business – and Broward County Libraries is ready!
In addition to the wide range of business assistance and support services that Broward County Libraries currently provides, 2014 will bring a host of business-related programs, workshops and seminars throughout the year, as well as special events in celebration of Small Business Month in May and Women’s Small Business Month in November.
All year round, Broward County Library offers free computer classes that provide no-cost instruction in computer programs most used in business such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as general computer literacy courses. Many BCL locations host SCORE (a nonprofit association dedicated to assisting entrepreneurs and small business) workshops and other events to assist in launching or growing a business. Additionally, workshops on finance-related topics such as investing are regularly presented.
The Small Business Resource Center, located at the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center (AARLCC), offers resources both online and at AARLCC to assist with business plans, marketing, money matters and more. Two Broward County agencies – the Office of Economic and Small Business Development and the Purchasing Division – present an annual series of informational workshops there that are designed to assist entrepreneurs in accessing County procurement opportunities.
For people who work from home or run home-based businesses, finding affordable and reliable business services can be tough. Broward County Library offers a range of services that provide business assistance and support, many of them free or at a nominal cost. With 37 library locations throughout Broward County, seven of them open on Sundays, it’s easy to find one nearby.
What does Broward County Libraries have to offer? Most of our 37 library locations provide the following services:
- Fax Services: Away from the office and need to send a fax, now? Visit a Broward County Library location for low-cost faxing at only $1 per page (no charge for cover sheet; double sided documents will be charged as separate sheets). Currently, only outgoing, domestic fax service is available.
- Public-Use Computers: Broward County Library has thousands of public-use computers available. Create documents, use the Internet for research, write business correspondence – the computers are free to use to Broward County Library cardholders and residents.
- Meeting Rooms: Many Broward County Libraries have meeting rooms that are available to the public for rent. Whether you’re holding a formal board meeting or a casual brainstorming session, Broward County Library can accommodate your group.
- Printing/Copying: Using one of our computers and need documents printed? Need to make copies for an upcoming meeting or presentation? For just $.15 per page (black and white; color $1), get as many laser-printed copies a necessary.
- Online Business Resources: Access great online resources such as Business and Company Resource Center, which provides company profiles and full-text articles from business journals throughout the country or Reference USA, which provides info on about 14 million companies throughout the U.S.
- Print Resources: Print Resources: Check out the latest business and trade journals and periodicals; browse through invaluable business directories, including guides to foundations, associations, public and private companies as well as minority and foreign businesses.
- SCORE: Visit free SCORE (a nonprofitworkshops held at various BCL locations throughout the year. SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating and helping entrepreneurs and small businesses. Call your local library for details.