DATE: December 9, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: Ron Pollworth
Office of Public Communications
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - Broward County governmental offices will be closed on Wednesday, December 25, and Wednesday, January 1, in observance of the Christmas and New Year's Day holidays. A few clarifications and exceptions are as follows:
• All branches of the Broward County Library will be closed on Christmas and New Year's. All branches will close at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, December 24. The exception is Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, which will be open from 8 a.m. to noon on Tuesday, December 24, and December 31, and will be closed on both Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Visit the Library's website, Broward.org/Library or download the Libraries' free mobile app, BCL Wow to search the online catalog, place holds and renew selected materials.
• Broward County Transit will operate under the Sunday, holiday schedules on both Christmas Day and New Year's Day and customer service representatives will be available on both holidays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Paratransit representatives will be available on both holidays from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 954-357-8400, or TTY 954-954-8302. There will be no express bus service on both holidays. Customers can access route information by visiting Broward.org/BCT.
• All Broward County regional parks (except Deerfield Island Park) and nature centers, neighborhood parks and natural areas will be open their regular hours on Tuesdays, December 24 and 31, and Wednesday, January 1 (New Year’s Day). All parks, nature centers and natural areas will be closed on Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25. The parks’ regular holiday gate entrance fee of $1.50/person (children 5 and under free) will be in effect on New Year’s Day.
• Animal Care and Adoption Center will be closed on both holidays. However, an Animal Care officer will be on duty to handle emergencies involving animal attacks or bites, injured animals and police requesting assistance. For these emergencies only, call Central Dispatch at 954-765-5124 or 954-765-5125. For Lost and Found cats or dogs, call 954-359-1313 ext. 9273. To search pet registration information, or to search for a lost pet online, visit Broward.org/Animal.
• The Aviation Department Administrative Offices at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport will be closed; however, phone calls will be answered at 954-359-1200. All terminal and airport facilities will operate normally and, because this is one of the busiest travel periods of the year, travelers to or from the airport are advised to allow extra time. The airport offers ample parking, some as low as $7.50 a day. For additional Airport information, visit Broward.org/Airport or follow us on Twitter.com/FLLFlyer.
• The Port Everglades Administration offices will be closed; however, the building will be open during normal business hours for tenants. Port Operations' marine services will be provided at standard levels without interruption on a 24/7 basis.
• The Office of the Medical Examiner and Trauma Services' administrative offices will be closed, but all family and professional services are available 24/7. Call 954-357-5200 for information and assistance, or visit Broward.org/MedicalExaminer.
• The Broward Addiction Recovery Center will be open for triage/detoxification services. Call 954-357-4880 for additional information and assistance. Residential services will continue with no visitors or admissions. Administration, Admissions and Outpatient offices will be closed.
• The Nancy J. Cotterman Center, formerly the Broward County Sexual Assault Treatment Center, will operate and accept referrals for the Crisis and Child Protection Team units on a 24-hour emergency basis. Call 954-357-5778 for emergency intakes. For all sexual violence emergencies, call the 24-hour hotline at 954-761-7273 (954-761-RAPE). For additional information, call 954-357-5775 or TTY 954-765-4195.
• For residents of Unincorporated Broward County, there will be no garbage, bulk or recycling collections on Christmas Day. Collections will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day, and there will be regularly scheduled pickups on New Year's Day. Residents of all other cities should contact their hauler directly for holiday schedules.
• The Southwest Regional Landfill at 7101 S.W. 205 Ave. will be closed on both holidays, and will resume normal operating hours the following day.