DATE: November 15, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: Ron Pollworth, Office of Public Communications
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, Broward County governmental offices will be closed on Thursday and Friday, November 28-29. A few clarifications and exceptions are as follows:
• All branches of the Broward County Library will close at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, November 27, and remain closed on Thursday and Friday with the exception of the Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, which will be open regular hours, from 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Wednesday, November 27, and will be closed on Friday, November 29. Customers can visit the Libraries' website at Broward.org/Library or download the Libraries' free mobile app, BCL WoW, to search the online catalog, place holds and renew selected materials.
• All Broward County regional and neighborhood parks, nature centers and natural areas will be open on Thanksgiving Day with the exception of the Deerfield Island Park, which will be closed per normal operating schedule. The parks’ regular weekend and holiday gate entrance fee of $1.50/person (children 5 and under free) will be in effect at applicable parks. All Broward County regional and neighborhood parks, nature centers, and natural areas (except Everglades Holiday Park, which will be open per its normal operating schedule) will be closed on the day after Thanksgiving. Call the specific facility to confirm operating hours or visit Broward.org/Parks for more information.
• Broward County Transit will operate Sunday/Holiday service on Thursday, November 28, and regular service the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 29. Customer service representatives will be available to take calls on Thanksgiving Day from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and from 7 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. on Friday. Paratransit representatives will be available on Thursday and Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 954-357-8400, or TTY 954-357-8302. Customers can access route information by visiting Broward.org/bct.
• Animal Care and Adoption Center will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. However, the Fort Lauderdale Adoption Center, 1870 S.W. 39 St., will be open on Friday, November 29, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for adoptions. On both days, an Animal Care officer will be on duty to handle emergencies involving animal attacks or bites, injured animals and police requesting assistance. For these emergencies only, call Central Dispatch at 954-765-5124 or 954-765-5125. For Lost and Found cats or dogs, call 954-359-1313 ext. 2474. To search pet license information online, visit Broward.org/Animal.
• The Aviation Department Administrative Offices at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport will be closed; however, phone calls will be answered at 954-359-1200. All terminal and airport facilities will operate normally and, because this is one of the busiest travel periods of the year, travelers to or from the airport are advised to allow extra time. The airport offers ample parking, some as low as $7.50 a day. For additional Airport information, visit Broward.org/Airport or follow us on Twitter.com/FLLFlyer.
• The Port Everglades Administration offices will be closed; however, the building will be open during normal business hours for tenants. Port Operations' marine services will be provided at standard levels without interruption on a 24/7 basis.
• The Office of the Medical Examiner and Trauma Services' administrative offices will be closed, but all family and professional services are available 24/7. Call 954-357-5200 for information and assistance, or visit Broward.org/MedicalExaminer.
• The Broward Addiction Recovery Center will be open for triage/detoxification services. Call 954-357-4880 for additional information and assistance. Residential services will continue with no visitors or admissions. Administration, Admissions and Outpatient offices will be closed.
• The Nancy J. Cotterman Center, formerly the Broward County Sexual Assault Treatment Center, will operate and accept referrals for the Crisis and Child Protection Team units on a 24-hour emergency basis. Call 954-357-5778 for emergency intakes. For all sexual violence emergencies, call the 24-hour hotline at 954-761-7273 (954-761-RAPE). For additional information, call 954-357-5775 or TTY 954-765-4195.
• There will be no garbage, bulk, or recycling collections on Thanksgiving Day for residents of Unincorporated Broward County. Collections will resume on the next regularly scheduled collection day. Residents of all other cities should contact their hauler directly for schedules.
• The Southwest Regional Landfill at 7101 S.W. 205 Ave. will be closed on Thursday and Friday, November 28-29, and will be open on Saturday, November 30, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information on Broward County services, call 954-357-6990. Hearing- and speech-impaired individuals should call 954-831-3940 TTY.