DATE: October 23, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: Michael Mills
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. – The following activities are scheduled at Broward County
Parks in connection with Veterans Day:
- Nature Crafts for Families: Cards for Veterans – Sat., Sun., & Mon., Nov. 9, 10, & 11, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. - Long Key Natural Area & Nature Center, 3501 S.W. 130th Ave., Davie 33330
- Military Appreciation Hike – Sun., Nov. 10, 10-11 a.m. – Hillsboro Pineland Natural Area, 5591 N.W. 74th Place, Coconut Creek 33073; 954-357-5100
- City of Hollywood Mayor’s Veterans Barbecue – Sun., Nov. 10, noon-4 p.m. – T.Y. (Topeekeegee Yugnee) Park, 3300 N. Park Rd., Hollywood 33021; 954-357-8811
- Veterans Concert and Sing-Along – Sun., Nov. 10, 3-4 p.m. – Secret Woods Nature Center, 2701 W. State Rd. 84, Dania Beach 33312; 954-357-8884
- Celebrate Our Veterans Guided Nature Walk – Mon., Nov. 11, 10 a.m. – Fern Forest Nature Center, 201 Lyons Rd. South, Coconut Creek 33063; 954-357-5198
- Flag Retirement Ceremony – Mon., Nov. 11, 10 a.m. – Vista View Park, 4001 S.W. 142nd Ave., Davie 33330; 954-357-8898
- Military Appreciation Hike – Mon., Nov. 11, 10-11 a.m. – Tall Cypress Natural Area, 3700 Turtle Run Blvd., Coral Springs 33067; 954-357-5100
In addition, our five parks with campgrounds will offer November Salute the Troops camping specials that apply for all active-duty and honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. armed forces, National Guard, and reserve units. Written documentation will be required to establish eligibility, along with current personal identification. Rates are for up to four campers, with additional per-camper fees applying (up to six campers total). Pet registration fees also apply.
- At C.B. Smith Park (954-357-5170) in Pembroke Pines, Markham Park & Target Range (954-357-8868) in Sunrise, and T.Y. (Topeekeegee Yugnee) Park (954-357-8811) in Hollywood, the special runs from Friday, November 8, through Monday, November 11. This special offers veterans 25 percent off their total stay, up to a maximum of four nights.
- At Easterlin Park (954-357-5190) in Oakland Park and Quiet Waters Park (954-357-5100) in Deerfield Beach, two specials run from Friday, November 1, through Sunday, December 1. The “Family Fun Package” is good for a two-night stay (Friday and Saturday) for $50 per site. The “Escape Special” is good for one or more nights (Sunday through Thursday) for $20 per site per night. At Quiet Waters, the fee also includes discounts on various other attractions throughout the park.
As of October 1 of this year, veterans with service-related disabilities are also granted free admission when the weekend and holiday gate entrance fee of $1.50/person (children 5 and under free) is in effect at most regional parks. Veterans must establish eligibility by calling 954-357-6622 to schedule an appointment at one of the seven Broward County Veterans Service locations to complete an application. The Elderly and Veterans Services Division will contact veterans once eligibility is confirmed, and the eligible veteran can pick up a credit card-style pass at the regional park office of their choice or request that the pass be mailed; passes are good for five years from date of activation – a savings of more than $125 – and may be renewed. (The passes do not provide prepaid parking at Hollywood North Beach Park or admittance into special park amenities or events.)
For further information, call or visit the park of your choice. All Broward County Parks (with the exception of Deerfield Island Park) will be open their regular operating hours on Veterans Day.
Recreation. Education. Preservation.
Founded in February 1956 and accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies, Broward County Parks and Recreation Division manages almost 6,500 acres, encompassing nearly 50 regional parks and nature centers, neighborhood parks, and natural areas at various stages of development. Facilities include water parks, campgrounds, a target range, a stadium, a skate park, an observatory, mountain bike trails, an educational farm with stables, and a velodrome and other sports facilities. Hours and fees vary by location. For more information, visit Broward.org/Parks.
Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations in order to participate in programs, services, and activities must contact the Special Populations Section at 954-357-8170 or TTY 954-537-2844 at least five (5) business days prior to the scheduled meeting or event.