DATE: October 3, 2013
"The Lawgiver" is November's title for the Ruth E. Cohan Jewish Book Review Series.
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
Jewish Heritage Month, commemorated by Broward County Libraries (BCL) each November, recognizes the history of Jewish contributions to American culture and history. From music to movies, arts to literature, the month is filled with programs, events and happenings that shine a spotlight on Jewish heritage.
November also kicks off the 2013/2014 Ruth E. Cohan Jewish Book Review Series, which presents a book review/discussion once a month from November 2013 through March 2014.
Jewish Heritage Month Events @ Broward County Libraries:
- November 2 - Al Matos New Age Klezmer Show, 2 to 3:30 p.m., South Regional/Broward College Library, 7300 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines, FL 33024, 954-201-8825
- November 12, 19, 26 - International Folk Dancing, 2 to 3:30 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
- November 12 - Musical Tuesdays with Walter Ladden, 2 to 3:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- November 14 - Harry Frank Klezmer Band, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Stirling Road Library, 3151 Stirling Road, Hollywood, FL 33312, 954-357-7550
- November 19 - Let's Talk about Books: The Innocents by Francesca Segal, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Southwest Regional Library, 16835 Sheridan Street, Pembroke Pines, FL 33331, 954-357-6580
- November 19 - Jewish Heritage Month cinema presentation. Please call 954-357-7840 for title, 2 to 3 p.m., Galt Ocean Mile Reading Center, 3403 Galt Ocean Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308, 954-357-7840
- November 19 - Refuge: Stories of the Selfhelp Home with commentary by director Ethan Bensinger, 2 to 4 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- November 20 - Foreign Films with commentary by Shelly Isaacs: An award-winning classic film concerning hidden Jewish heritage, 2 to 5 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- November 21 - Reel to Real Talk: A Film Forum with Prof. Lynne Thorner, noon to 3 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
- November 25 - Book Discussion of Peony by Pearl Buck, 2 to 3 p.m., Galt Ocean Mile Reading Center, 3403 Galt Ocean Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308, 954-357-7840
Ruth E. Cohan Jewish Book Review Series Dates and Locations
November's Title: The Lawgiver by Herman Wouk.
- November 13 - 2 to 3 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- November 14 - 1 to 2 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301, 954-357-7444
- November 18 - 2 to 3 p.m., Tamarac Library, 8701 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33351, 954-765-1500
- November 20 - North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use, and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. Broward County Libraries Division continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, Broward.org/Library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.