DATE: September 23, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. - During October, Broward County Libraries (BCL) will feature events focusing on Breast Cancer Awareness Month. According to recent estimates from the American Cancer Society, approximately 190,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed among women in the United States this year.
This month, learn about the disease, its preventions and cures during these free from Breast Cancer Awareness Month events @ Broward County Libraries:
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use, and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. Broward County Libraries Division continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, Broward.org/Library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.
- October 5 – Community Health and Breast Cancer Awareness Fair: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- October 8 – Lunch with the Doctor: “Breast Cancer Screening - No Longer a One Size Fits All,” 12 noon to 1:30 p.m., North Regional/ Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
- October 8 - Exercise, Fitness and Nutrition for Teens Seminar, 4 to 5 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- October 9 – Nutrition - A Step Ahead: Decrease your risks for breast cancer and other illnesses, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33065, 954-357-7990
- October 10 – Integrative Oncology: What Is it and How You Can Benefit, 12 noon to 1:30 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- October 11 – Learn to knit or crochet hats for those battling cancer, all ages, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
- October 17 – Genetics and the Link to Breast Cancer, 12 noon to 1:30 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- October 24 – Breast Cancer 101: The Basics, 12 noon to 1:30 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 954-357-7444
- Information Tables: Main Library, North Regional/Broward College Library, Northwest Regional Library; Display: Southwest Regional Library.