DATE: August 6, 2013
Broward County's mobile website, broward.org/mobile.
MEDIA CONTACT: Margaret Stapleton, Director
Office of Public Communications
Broward County announces the launch of a mobile version of the County’s website along with a new app for Android devices, both providing quicker, easier access to programs and services of the Broward County Commission on smartphones and other devices.
The Broward County app for Android devices can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store. Users of Apple devices are encouraged to bookmark the mobile website, broward.org/mobile.
The app and the mobile website are the result of a collaboration between the Broward County Office of Public Communications and Enterprise Technology Services, and both have already met with early success – having recently won an Achievement Award in Information Technology from the National Association of Counties (NACo), recognizing innovation in county government programs.
“We recognize that residents are increasingly using mobile devices to access the Internet and the County’s online services,” said Margaret Stapleton, director of Broward County’s Office of Public Communications. “Technology can be used to bring local government closer to residents, businesses and visitors, by expanding their access to government services anytime, anywhere and on any device.”
Information is available through the following easy access categories:
• Search – a mobile friendly search
• News – latest news from the broward.org home page
• Things to Do – events for the arts, parks, libraries, volunteer opportunities, special events, public meetings and more
• Find Us – access to Broward County agencies, online services, phone numbers, programs and more
• Get it Done Online – access to pay bills online, purchase a bus pass, renew licenses, request a library card, subscribe to enews and social media sites, and more
• My Broward – access to County Commissioners, County agencies, programs and services
• Getting Around – information about public transportation options including Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Port Everglades and other innovative forms of travel throughout our community, such as the B-Cycle
• Ready. Set. Safe. Emergency Guide – access to emergency preparedness and public safety information for weather and other emergencies, including a comprehensive A-Z guide
Residents are encouraged to explore the site and send feedback to email@example.com. Future planned enhancements for mobile users include responsive design.