August is back to school month at Broward County Library!
DATE: August 1, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath, Libraries Division
Kindergartners, college students, adult learners: autumn (or August 19, if you’re here in Broward County) means back to school. From free events and computer classes, downloadable music, magazines and eBooks to electronic research and more, Broward County Libraries has something to help everyone get geared up for class.
Back-to-School Events at Broward County Libraries
August 3 – Technology Petting Zoo Workshop/Seminar, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066, 954-201-2600
August 3 – West Park Bazaar and Rummage Sale! Great stuff, great prices, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Carver Ranches Library, 4735 S.W. 18 Street, West Park, FL 33023, 954-357-6245
August 31 – Jiggleman’s Back to School Bash. Celebrate the new school year with a zany performance by Jiggleman, an Orlando-based children’s comedian and circus acrobat, all ages, 2 to 3 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero Jr., Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, 954-262-5477
September 19 – School’s Cool: Back-to-school stories and craft, ages 6-10, 4 to 5 p.m., Tamarac Library, 8701 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33351, 954-765-1500
Your Best Tool for School: A Broward County Library Card!
If you don’t have one yet, what are you waiting for? A free Broward County Library card is the only card you need to unlock a world of information and educational resources! Use your Broward County Library card to access more than three million books, videos, CDs, DVDs, CD ROMs, and audiobooks; search the online or traditional catalog for library materials; place holds on materials you are interested in; renew materials; and borrow e-Readers. Broward County Library cards are free to those who live or work in Broward County.
On Saturday, September 7, Broward County Main Library and the Museum of Art I Fort Lauderdale join together for their annual Library Card Drive, which will be held at the Museum, One East Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. Build your own mini-book, learn paper pop-up techniques and write a story inspired by public art on view at the Museum. The event runs from 12 noon to 4 p.m., with live story times at 1 and 3 p.m.
Free SAT/ACT Preparation Classes at Your Library!
Broward County Libraries Division will hold two SAT/ACT preparation classes this fall. Each class consists of four workshops that cover SAT/ACT reading, grammar, math, science, essay writing and test-taking strategies. Parents are encouraged to attend the first and last session.
West Regional Library will host classes on September 16, 21, 23 and 30. There is a 50-student limit and students must be either juniors or seniors. Register in person at West Regional Library, 8601 W. Broward Blvd., Plantation, FL 33324 or call 954-765-1560. In November 2013, the North Regional/Broward College Library will also hold a four-program session. For information on the November session, please contact the North Regional/Broward College Library in early October at 954-201-2600.
Studying is Doggone Hard! Broward eTutor Makes it Easy!
Students of all ages and learning levels can use their Broward County Library card to log in to Broward eTutor, the library’s free online tutoring service. Tutors are available live from 2 to 11 p.m. daily. Access Broward eTutor from home, school, the library or anywhere! Resources include:
- 24/7 Help Center: Have a question after hours? Email a tutor and they’ll respond (usually within 24 hours).
- Foreign Language Lab: Assistance and support for students learning Spanish, with resources for learning other languages on their way.
- Writing Lab: Get live writing assistance help from an expert, or visit Broward eTutor’s “Writing Lab” to submit your paper/essay for a detailed analysis.
- Test Center: Practice tests such as the SAT, ACT, GED and more, with instant results
- Flashbulb: Access online flashcards in hundreds of subjects or create your own.
- Adult Learning: Resources available for learners of all ages.
- Subjects include: Reading, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Pre-Algebra, Biology, Physics, Precalculus, Writing, Spanish, Social Studies, Science, Chemistry, History, College Writing, Microsoft Office Word, Microsoft Office Excel and Microsoft Office PowerPoint.
10 Great Online Resources for Students
- Biography in Context: Full-text database provides biographical information on more than 22,000 people from throughout history, around the world, and across all disciplines and subject areas. Search by name, or various criteria such as birth and death year, nationality, ethnicity, occupation or gender. Most biographies have an image of the subject.
- Broward County Public Schools: Information and statistics about the nation's sixth largest school district. The web content can be accessed in Creole, Portuguese and Spanish.
- Broward Schools Virtual Counselor: Section of Broward Public Schools website that allows parents and guardians to access their child's student information on topics such as attendance, academic and assignment history, marking period grades, schedules and test scores.
- Education Atlas: Links to education and test preparation sites.
- ePrep: A comprehensive study program to prepare students for the SAT, PSAT, ACT, SSAT, and PLAN. These online video-based test-preparation courses can be used in the library or accessed from home 24/7. Links to education and test preparation sites.
- Expanded Academic ASAP: From arts and the humanities to social sciences, science and technology, this database meets research needs across all academic disciplines. Access scholarly journals, news magazines, and newspapers - many with full text and images!
- Great Web Sites for Kids (American Library Association): Educational and fun websites selected by librarians. Sites are easy to navigate, have clearly identified authoring sources, and makes effective use of the Internet to create unique, interactive experiences.
- InfoTrac: Junior Edition: Designed for students in junior high and middle school. Includes indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more. Contains 330 titles, cross searchable with E-Books. Coverage: 2004 - current.
- InfoTrac: Student Edition: Designed for high-school students. Access to a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers, podcasts, and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more. Contains more than 1100 titles. Coverage: 2004 – current
- NewsBank’s Special Reports & Current Event Hot Topics: News articles, images, videos and other useful content grouped for convenience under specific topics and themes, such as Science and Health in the news, World Politics and Government, People in the news, Natural Disasters, and much more. Quickly locate information on a specific subject to gain better insight into current issues and events on a global scale. Each Report features current and retrospective coverage, and new articles are added daily; each month also features a unique topic and theme. All Special Reports & Hot Topics are accessed from the left side bar of the menu page.
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of Broward County's diverse community. The library continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, broward.org/library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW - Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Broward County Historical Commission.