DATE: May 24, 2013
Pick up your Summer Reading Booklet today!
MEDIA CONTACT: Nancy Murray or Loria Hyatt, Libraries Division
PHONE: 954-357-7406 or 954-357-7336
EMAIL: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
"Dig into Reading" with Broward County Libraries' Children & Teens Summer Reading Program, a literacy initiative sponsored by the Broward Public Library Foundation and the Miami Dolphins, that gives children the chance to win prizes by reading over the summer. There are also loads of fun events and programs for all ages. Pick up your Children's Summer Reading Program Booklet at your local library or download it here. An live calender of Summer Reading Program events is also available.
The Summer Reading Program kicks off on June 8, 2013 at 33 Broward County Library locations. Libraries countywide will offer a summer filled with great events for children and teens, including music and theatre performances, fun activities, science adventures, arts & crafts, book clubs and story times. Additionally, children and teens are encouraged to read for the fun of it - the more books read, the more chances to enter drawings for great prizes. Prizes include ticket packages for local attractions, a VIP day at Dolphins training camp, signed sports memorabilia, an iPad, a Kindle Fire and $250 gift certificates, to name a few.
Summer reading programs are beneficial to young people, as they help retain reading and comprehension skills over the summer and provide quality learning activities that are fun and appealing. According to the School Library Journal, students who take part in their local library’s summer reading program significantly improve their reading skills. Summer reading programs are also an antidote for learning loss.
To get started in the Children's Summer Reading Program, visit your local participating library on or after June 8. Pick up your game piece and get started reading to earn rewards from your library and a chance to win great prizes. Many of libraries will be hosting Summer Reading Program kick-off events with entertainment, refreshments and Summer Reading Program sign-ups.
The following Broward County Library locations will participate in the Children's Summer Reading Program:
- African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, 954-357-6282
- Carver Ranches Library, 4735 S.W. 18 St., West Park, 954-357-6245
- Century Plaza Leon Slatin Library, 1856A W. Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach, 954-357-7740
- Dania Beach Paul DeMaio Library, 1 Park Ave. East, Dania Beach, 954-357-7073
- Davie/Cooper City Library, 4600 S.W. 82 Ave., Davie, 954-357-6399
- Deerfield Beach Percy White Library, 837 E. Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach, 954-357-7680
- Hallandale Beach Library, 300 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale, 954-357-6380
- Hollywood Library, 2600 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, 954-357-7760
- Imperial Point Library, 5985 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale, 954-357-6530
- Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library, 2800 N.W. 9 Ct., 954-357-7670
- Lauderdale Lakes Library, 3580 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderdale Lakes, 954-357-8650
- Lauderhill Towne Centre, 6399 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderhill, 954-357-6406
- Lauderhill Mall Library, 4257 N.W. 12 St., Lauderhill, 954-357-7833
- Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale, 954-357-7444
- Margate Catharine Young Library, 5810 Park Dr., Margate, 954-357-7500
- Miramar Branch Library, 2050 Civic Center Place, Miramar, 954-357-8090
- North Lauderdale Saraniero Library, 6901 Kimberly Blvd., North Lauderdale, 954-357-6660
- North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, 954-201-2600
- Northwest Branch Library, 1580 N.W. 3 Ave., Pompano Beach, 954-357-6599
- Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Dr., Coral Springs, 954-357-7990
- Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Technology Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Davie-Fort Lauderdale, 954-262-5477
- Pembroke Pines Library, 955 N.W. 129 Ave., Pembroke Pines, 954-357-6750
- Pompano Beach Library, 1213 E. Atlantic Blvd., Pompano Beach, 954-357-7595
- Riverland Library, 2710 W. Davie Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, 954-357-7455
- South Regional/Broward College Library, 7300 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines, 954-201-8825
- Southwest Regional Library, 16835 Sheridan St., Pembroke Pines, 954-357-6580
- Stirling Road Library, 3151 Stirling Rd., Hollywood, 954-357-7550
- Sunrise Dan Pearl Library, 10500 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Sunrise, 954-357-7440
- Tamarac Library, 8701 W. Commerical Blvd., Tamarac, 954-765-1500
- Tyrone Bryant Library, 2230 N.W. 21 Ave., Fort Lauderdale, 954-357-8210
- West Regional Library, 8601 W. Broward Blvd., Plantation, 954-765-1560
- Weston Library, 4205 Bonaventure Blvd., Weston, 954-357-5420
- Young At Art Museum/Broward County Library, 751 S.W. 121 Ave., Davie, 954-357-5437
Children and teens can enjoy featured entertainers and performance at their local library; check the Children's Summer Reading Booklet for dates and times. Performers include:
- Didgeridoo Down Under: High-energy, interactive Australian-themed show with an environmental message that combines music, culture, comedy and puppetry.
- Windell Campbell - Folk & Fairy Tales: Puppetry is incorporated with the art of storytelling.
- Dig In and Read with the Pirates Treasure Adventure: Award-winning magic show with laughs, balloon sculpting and audience participation.
- Digging Up Buried Treasure with Carrie Sue Ayvar: Amazing tales told in Spanish and English.
- Salty Sue the Pirate or Geo Jane (Suzy Hammer): Salty Sue roams through books and reading looking for adventure. Geo Jane trots the globe unearthing buried mysteries.
- Darrell House: Award-winning children's author, poet, storyteller, singer/songwriter and musician Darrell House enchants the audience with his humor.
- Billy Joe Bob Show: Stories and songs, including Dr. Seuss tales, are intertwined to provide an entertaining and educational experience.
For more information on the Children's Summer Reading Program, please contact Nancy Murray, 954-357-7406, email@example.com or Loria Hyatt, 954-357-7336, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of the Broward County's diverse community. The library continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, broward.org/library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Historical Commission.