DATE: April 19, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: Odette Reza-Brown, Broward County
Solid Waste and Recycling Services
Several Broward County agencies are participating in events being held throughout the County during the month of April to celebrate Earth Day, Monday, April 22. Broward County Solid Waste and Recycling Services, Pollution Prevention, Remediation and Air Quality and Parks and Recreation suggest the following 12 terrific things residents can do to celebrate Earth Day.
Saturday, April 20
- Help keep toxins from electronics out of the waste stream. Gather up your TVs, computers and other electronics and drop them off at this special collection event at Whole Foods Market in Fort Lauderdale, 2000 N. Federal Highway, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This free e-cycling event includes special Earth Day activities at Whole Foods Market. Call 954-765-4999 for more information.
- Celebrate green living with the City of Sunrise during their annual Earth Day Festival 2013. Admission is free and highlights include live music, children’s activities, a farmer’s market, an eco-fashion show, environmental booths, arbor tree planting and more, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sawgrass Sanctuary Park, 237 North New River Circle, Sunrise. For more information, call 954-747-4600.
- Deerfield Island Park, 1720 Deerfield Island Park in Deerfield Beach, in conjunction with Dixie Divers and Island Water Sports, seeks kayakers and paddleboarders to help with Earth Day Waterway Cleanup, from 9 a.m. to noon. Preregistration is required; call 954-420-0009 for more information and to register.
Sunday, April 21
- Bring old pesticides, paint, used electronics and outdated medication to this free household hazardous waste and electronics drop-off that includes a medication take-back and paper shredding. The event takes place at City Hall in Sunrise, 10770 West Oakland Park Blvd., from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 954-765-4999 for more information.
- Go Earth Day island-style with steel drums and Caribbean dancers at Coconut Creek’s CocoFest at 4451 Lyons Road (southwest corner of Lyons and Wiles Road), from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. This free event at the Promenade at Coconut Creek includes food vendors, family fun and a “Green Expo.” Call 954-545-6620 for more information.
Monday, April 22
- Get involved in recycling! If you already recycle, pledge to recycle more! If your complex does not recycle, find out how you can lead a volunteer effort to get others to recycle. If you’re interested, drop an email to email@example.com.
- Learn to recycle at the library and enjoy games and prizes, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale.
Tuesday, April 23
- Broward County Pollution Prevention, Remediation and Air Quality will have an informational display at Broward College's Earth Day celebration, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 3501 S.W. Davie Road, Davie.
Saturday, April 27
- Get your hands in the sand and join the fun at the Keep Broward Beautiful Beach Sweep Cleanup. Help keep Fort Lauderdale’s beach beautiful, safe, and litter-free. Registration is required for this activity and will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Please bring a completed Volunteer Application to participate.
- Broward County Pollution Prevention, Remediation and Air Quality will have an informational booth at the Deerfield Beach Arbor Day/Earth Day Event, which is being held from noon to 6 p.m., featuring “green” demonstrations, vendors and giveaways at the Athletics Complex, 701 S.E. Sixth Ave., Deerfield Beach.
- Spring into gardening at the Native Plant Sale at Fern Forest Nature Center, 201 Lyons Road, Coconut Creek, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Learn to put the right plant in the right place. Call 954-357-5198 for more information.
- The West Park Earth Fair features booths, healthcare screening and children’s activities from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at West Park City Hall, 1965 S. State Road 7, West Park. Call 954-989-2688 for more information.