DATE: March 29, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: Odette Reza-Brown, Broward County Solid Waste and Recycling Services
This free drop-off event is a great way to dispose of leftover products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable or reactive ingredients like those found in paint, pesticides, cleansers and batteries. You can also get rid of outdated electronics that are just taking up space in your home ? we’ll take them and recycle them for free!
Through a partnership between Broward County Solid Waste and Recycling Services (SWRS) and Partner Cities and Davie, this convenient event will take place on Sunday, April 7, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., at 3801 South Pine Island Road. (Bamford/Pine Island Park).
Residents can bring the following items for disposal: household hazardous waste including compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), fluorescent tubes, paint, solvents, motor oil, pesticides, household chemicals, lawn and pool chemicals, mercury thermometers, propane tanks and fire extinguishers; used electronics including TVs, computers, monitors, keyboards, printers, fax machines, cell phones, CD players, DVD players, and rechargeable batteries.
Proof of Broward County residency such as a driver's license or current utility bill is required. Items that cannot be accepted include stereos, microwaves, kitchen appliances, explosives, biohazardous waste and business-generated waste.
Mark your calendar for these upcoming one-day drop-off events at a city near you:
- April 21: Sunrise City Hall, 10770 W. Oakland Park Blvd., includes medicine take-back and shredding
- May 5: Tamarac Public Works Complex, 6011 Nob Hill Road
- May 19: Weston Public Works Complex, 2599 South Post Road
Broward County also operates permanent residential drop-off centers for household hazardous waste and electronics in the following locations:
These disposal facilities and special Household Hazardous Waste collection events are available to help reduce the potential harm of chemicals to children and pets, and of contamination to our environment. For more information, call 954-765-4999. Hearing- and speech-impaired individuals should call 954-765-4207 (TTY).
- 2780 N. Powerline Rd., Pompano Beach (north of Copans Road): Open every Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (accepts household hazardous waste and used electronics).
- 5601 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd., West Park (located between Miramar and Pembroke Park): Open every Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (accepts household hazardous waste and used electronics).