DATE: February 5, 2013
MEDIA CONTACT: William Forbes, Libraries Division
The AARP Tax-Aide program in cooperation with the IRS will be offering free tax preparation services at the Main Library Cybrary located on 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. Counselors will be available every Thursday and Friday beginning Thursday, February 7, through Friday, April 12, 2013 from 10:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. Service is provided on first-come, first-served bases. No appointments will be accepted.
Although the focus of AARP Tax-Aide is to help taxpayers with low and moderate income with special focus on those 60 and older, the program will assist taxpayers of all ages.
Personal income tax returns and attached schedules are completed with the following exceptions:
• Schedule C (Business Profit and Loss) with expenses that exceed $5,000—no losses, no employees, no inventory, and no depreciation
• Complicated Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses) without proper paperwork
• Schedule E (Rental Property)
• Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses)
• Form 3903 (Moving Expenses)
• Form 8615 (Minor’s Investment Income)
• Schedule K-1 that involves depreciation or deductible expenses.
Taxpayers need to bring the following documents with them:
• Government issued photo ID for the taxpayer and spouse if applicable
• Social Security cards or other official documentation of social security numbers for the taxpayer, spouse if applicable and all dependents
• Last year's tax return
• All tax forms, receipts and canceled checks documenting the taxpayer’s income, tax payments, expenses if itemizing deductions, and tax credits
• Blank check if the taxpayer wants a direct deposit of any refund.
For more information, please call 954-357-7485.
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of the Broward County's diverse community. The library continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive web site, www.broward.org/library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Historical Commission.