DATE: December 21, 2012
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath, Libraries Division
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the unemployment rate for Florida is now at 8.5% – way up from the 2006 pre-recession, lowest-ever rate of 3.3 % and a discouraging number for current job seekers. Savvy career and educational planning are needed to navigate today’s job market; setting career goals and upgrading skills are a must for anyone looking for work right now. But for those who are unemployed or even underemployed, the resources needed to improve and update skills may be financially out of reach.
Level the playing field with free help from Broward County Library (BCL). From books, DVDs and other resources to free classes in language, computers and more, Broward County Library has what you need to succeed. Here’s a look at some of the free services and resources available at your library.
One-Stop Help Online
Back on the job market? Looking to go back to school to improve your career? Your first stop is Broward County Library’s Education and Job Resources page, where you’ll find information on all aspects of searching for a job and advancing education, including interactive online resources, employability skills software and personalized assistance from library staff. Get information on books, DVDs and software that are available or find out about topics such as choosing a career, job search strategies, educational and training programs, job trends and salaries. Pick and choose what you need – it’s all free!
Broward etutor – Live Job and Educational Help
Get live, expert career and educational help from anywhere with Broward etutor – all you need is your Broward County Library card!
• Tutoring from Brainfuse (Daily from 2 to 11 p.m.) Live tutoring and skills-building for K-12, college and adult learners. Live help and test prep aligned to Florida standardized tests, SAT/ACT/GED, English/Language Arts, Foreign Language Lab, Writing Lab, Math (algebra to calculus), Science, and Social Studies. Assistance in these subjects is also available in Spanish.
• Job Coaching (Daily from 2 to 11 p.m.) Live, expert coaching for every stage of your job search including résumé assistance, interview coaching and career resources.
Online Research + You = Job!
Access these career- and education-oriented online resources from any computer anywhere! Use your Broward County Library card number and the phone number associated with it to log onto these free online research sites:
• Adult Learning Center from BrainFuse: Live, professional assistance in resume/cover letter writing, career coaching, GED and U.S. Citizenship test prep, college placement prep, Microsoft Office Essential Skills series and more.
• CareerOverview: Non-commercial website with relevant, reliable and up-to-date career and job information to help make better, more informed career choices.
• Florida Choices Planner: Florida Department of Education database for information on careers, Florida public and private postsecondary institutions, national institutions, and financial aid.
• JobNow from BrainFuse: On-demand access to live expert coaches for every stage of your job search. Live interview coaching and interview toolbox, career resources including personality and career assessments, and expert resume assistance. Live assistance available every day from 2 to 11 p.m.
• Occupational Outlook Handbook: Career information and expected employment prospects for many job positions from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Class Acts – Free Online Courses from Universal Class
Your Broward County Library card is the ticket to Universal Class, which offers more than 500 non-credit online courses that can build or strengthen skills. Take free classes in areas such as career training, computers and technology, business, health and medicine, business terminology, computer programming and medical billing.
Live at Your Library: One-on-One Reference Appointment Career Training
At some Broward County Libraries, available staff assist customers with research, job searching and job applications. Most Broward County Libraries offer a one-hour appointment with a librarian who can guide you in the use of print and electronic career and job-search materials. Please call your favorite library to make an appointment.
Learn and Upgrade Your Computer Skills
With so many jobs and careers requiring technical skills, it pays to brush up on computer skills. No matter what your age or skill level, you can take free computer classes at the following BCL locations. Need to get acquainted with the computer, use it to write your resume, conquer PowerPoint or learn how to search for jobs online? You can acquire the skills you need free at your library!
African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311 (954-357-6282)
Century Plaza/Leon Slatin Branch Library, 1856A W. Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach, FL 33442 (954-357-7740)
Galt Ocean Mile Reading Center, 3403 Galt Ocean Mile Dr., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 (954-357-7840)
Hollywood Branch Library, 2600 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, FL 33020 (954-357-7760)
Imperial Point Branch Library, 5985 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 (954-357-6530)
Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library, 2800 N.W. 9th Ct., Pompano Beach, FL 33069 (954-357-7670)
Lauderdale Lakes Library/Educational and Cultural Center, 3580 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311 (954-357-8650)
Lauderhill Towne Center Branch Library, 6399 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderhill, FL 33313 (954-357-6406)
Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 (954-357-7444)
North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek, FL 33066 (954-201-2600)
Northwest Regional Library, 3151 University Dr., Coral Springs, FL 33065 (954-357-7990)
South Regional/Broward College Library, 7300 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines, FL 33024 (954-201-8825)
Southwest Regional Library, 16835 Sheridan St. Pembroke Pines, FL 3331 (954-357-6580)
Tamarac Branch Library, 8701 W. Commercial Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33351 (954-720-2282)
West Regional Library, 8601 W. Broward Blvd., Plantatation, FL 33324 (954-382-5860)
Weston Branch Library, 4205 Bonaventure Blvd., Weston, FL 3332 (954-357-5420)
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 40 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of the Broward County's diverse community. The library continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive Web site, www.broward.org/library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Historical Commission.