DATE: September 5, 2012
MEDIA CONTACT: Catherine McElrath
We all love a good time, but in today’s economy even fun carries a high price tag. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average American spends more on entertainment than gas, household furnishings and even clothing. From concert tickets to movie rentals to magazines, there are endless ways to lighten your wallet in the pursuit of happiness, but at what cost to your overall budget and long-term financial security?
Savvy spenders and savers can find big savings in one small (and free) package. One of the best bargains in town is a little plastic card that’s free of charge but can save you a lot – your Broward County Library card. September is National Library Card Sign-up Month, the perfect time for everyone to get a Broward County Library Card of their own. For those who’re already a card-carrying customer, here are some great reminders about how to save cash with your library card.
Top 10 Ways to Save Money with Your Broward County Library Card
- Use a free public computer or WiFi seven days a week at library locations countywide. (Home internet access can run from $10 and up, depending on your plan.)
- Borrow a video game for free instead of buying or renting it. (Many of today’s new titles debut in stores at $49.99.)
- Get free, online one-on-one tutoring. (Private tutors can run from $10 to $30 an hour.)
- Read the daily newspaper for free in the library or search their archives. (An annual subscription to a local South Florida daily is approximately $200 annually.)
- Download five free songs a week courtesy of Broward County Library. (At an average of a dollar per song, that’s $20 a month!)
- Try out an eReader – for free. (At $70 and up per device, you can try before you buy.)
- Check out a free feature film or kid’s DVD for a home movie night. (A family of four just saved at least $40.)
- Take a free online class in almost anything via Universal Class (Education – priceless!)
- Get free eBooks including today’s hottest bestsellers and books of all genres. (Save an average of $10 per title.)
- Learn a foreign language at home, at your convenience with free online language classes that include Spanish, French, Chinese and even American Sign Language. (Today’s language-learning software can costs hundreds of dollars – for one just language.)
Getting Your Free Broward County Library Card – It’s Easy!
Broward County Library cards are free to anyone who lives, works or goes to school in Broward County as well as free, six-month visitor cards for part-time Broward County residents. Visit any Broward County Library location to get a library card or apply online.
Free, Fun Family Library Card Sign-up Month Event at the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale
Broward County Library and the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale will host a special Library Card Sign-up Month event on Saturday, September 22 in conjunction with the launch of the newly designed Broward County Library "BCL WoW" card and the Shark Tales exhibit at the Museum. Children who sign up for a free Broward County Library card will also receive free admission to the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale on the first Saturday of every month.
The free event, which will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale, One East Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301, will feature:
- Storytelling at 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and noon.
- Screening of the film Shark Riddle at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Face Painting
- Fun Children's Games and Activities
- On-Site Registration Tables for Broward County Library Cards and Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale memberships.
For more information on this event, please contact Sydna Wexler, 954-357-7344, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 37 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of the Broward County's diverse community. The library continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. In addition to our comprehensive web site, www.broward.org/library, which provides information about library activities, links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, customers can visit BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls – for free eBooks, music, audiobooks, apps and more. Customers may also follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Historical Commission.