DATE: July 26, 2012
The 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge Event begins August 1 and continues through October 31.
MEDIA CONTACT: Lisa Mendheim, Animal Care and Adoption
If getting a new cat or dog during the next three months is on your list of fun things to do, then your timing is perfect and so are your options. Beginning August 1 through October 31, Broward County’s Animal Care and Adoption Centers will compete against other shelters across the country in the 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge Event.
The goal is high. In order to be considered for the top prize of $100,000, Animal Care must successfully adopt 300 more pets than it did during the same period last year, which totals a whopping 1,636 dogs and cats.
“It truly is a challenge, in every sense of the word,” says Karen Koenig, administrator, Broward County Animal Care and Adoption. “Our success depends entirely on the support of the community. There are two areas we are judged on: how well we engage residents and how many dogs and cats we can safely get adopted into new homes.”
The ASPCA $100K Challenge kick-off weekend begins August 4 at the Broward County Animal Care and Adoption Center, 1870 S.W. 39 Street, Fort Lauderdale:
- Saturday, August 4, “Mobile Mike” and the Mobile Mike Burger and Fries Food Truck will provide entertainment and food, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
On both days, new pet adopters will receive savings coupons from Pet Supermarket for supplies and food. Other great savings and fun events are planned throughout the competition and posted on the agency’s website, broward.org/animal.
- Sunday, August 5, HOT 105 Radio will broadcast music from 11 a.m. to noon followed by additional activities to 4 p.m.
The opening weekend is followed by three months of special events, all geared toward bringing attention to the high number of lost and homeless pets throughout the County. Residents who are interested in adopting a dog or cat are encouraged to come out early and take advantage of the fun and surprises that await potential adopters.
The 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge is an annual competition encouraging animal shelters to partner with their communities to increase the number of pets adopted or successfully returned to their owners. This is the first time Broward County has competed in the challenge. The prize money would go toward caring for the thousands of unwanted pets that enter the facility each year.
"The ASPCA $100K Challenge is a great motivator for our team and a wonderful opportunity for residents to make a difference and have some fun. Each day we have hundreds of healthy, loving pets in our Adoption Centers who need a home,” said Lisa Mendheim, public education coordinator, Broward County Animal Care and Adoption. “The public thinks of us as ‘the pound,’ but we are way more than that. Most people have no idea they can find wonderful adoptable animals, even purebreds, in our shelters and are pleasantly surprised after just one visit. When a community works together, it is possible to save the lives of hundreds of animals. It’s a win-win for our homeless dogs and cats, as well as our community.”
Broward County’s Animal Care and Adoption is dedicated to providing shelter for lost and surrendered animals as well as the successful adoption of homeless pets. The agency also coordinates the registration of dogs and cats and provides rabies vaccinations to encourage a healthier pet population. For more information about the agency, visit broward.org/animal, follow on Twitter.com/BrowardPetPals or "like us" on Facebook.com/BrowardPets.
ASPCA $100K Challenge Calendar of Events
Following the August 4 and 5 kick-off, a full calendar of events is slated through October 31:
• Week of August 11: Elvis comes to town. Disc jockey Scott Evans rocks out Elvis classics.
• Week of August 18: Adopt a Study Buddy. Free backpack and surprises for students and teachers.
• Week of August 25: Animal Care goes to the dogs. Special surprises for all dog lovers.
• Week of September 1: Animal Care celebrates Labor Day. Specials for government workers.
• Week of September 8: NFL Week. Adopt a "Coach Potato Buddy" to watch this season’s games.
• Week of September 15: Have some Hot Diggity Dog fun when the Dog-Eat-Dog Food Truck comes to town.
• Week of September 22: Cool down with a scoop of ice cream from the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream cart.
• Week of Charlie Brown and Snoopy: Take your picture with Snoopy and celebrate the world’s most popular beagle.
• Weekend of October 6-7: Adopt a pet with us at T.Y. Park during K-9 Aquatics.
• Week of October 13: Cat lovers week. Special surprises for all feline fanciers.
• Weekend of October 20-21: Adopt a pet with us at T.Y. Park during K-9 Aquatics.
• Week of October 27: Halloween FunFest.