DATE: November 22, 2011
MEDIA CONTACT: Stephen Grubb
BROWARD COUNTY, FLORIDA – Broward County Library (BCL) introduces BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls, a new concept that brings the electronic services and resources of BCL together in one easy-to-find, easy-to-use location.
With BCL WoW, you can access the library anytime, anywhere and get all of the services and features of Broward County Library wherever and whenever you want. Just visit Broward County Library’s website, www.broward.org/library, and click on the BCL WoW button on the right-hand side.
Customers can move beyond the traditional brick-and-mortar library by using online services and resources to create their own library experience. BCL WoW includes mobile apps, free online job searching and tutoring help, live library reference librarians, downloadable eBooks, audiobooks and music and more – all on one page.
What’s Available from BCL WoW:
- Mobile Apps: BCL WoW, the new mobile app from Broward County Library, will launch in December 2011, allowing you to access your library account, search the catalog, place holds, find your nearest library, and more. Byki Mobile (Community Edition) helps you learn languages by locking foreign words and phrases into your memory. Tutor.com To Go™ connects you to a live one-on-one tutor.
- Downloadable Music: Get free digital music downloads from Sony Music’s catalog and choose up to three songs per week. Once downloaded, they never expire, time out or disappear.
- eBooks and Audiobooks: Find the latest bestsellers and hottest titles from OverDrive, and browse new arrivals of eBooks and audiobooks. Find over 34,000 free book titles that never expire and don’t count against your library checkout limit.
- OverDrive Media Console: Browse, download and read eBooks from Broward County Library directly to your mobile device.
- Ask a Librarian: Have questions or need help? Ask a librarian from the convenience of your computer or phone. Chat live with virtual librarians or email/text message your inquiry.
- Wi-Fi Access: Broward County Library has more than 2,000 public-use computers at locations countywide that you can use for free. Or, bring your own laptop or tablet computer - every BCL location offers free wireless Internet access.
- QR Codes: BCL now includes QR codes in many of our printed flyers and posters. These virtual shortcuts are a fast way to point your smart phone to a helpful website. BCL is currently using them at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to allow passengers to download free eBooks.
- Tutoring: Young and adult learners can get free live, online tutoring in a range of subjects from Brainfuse. Includes SAT/ACT/GED, English/language arts, math, writing, foreign language, science, social studies and U.S. citizenship tests.
- Job Coaching: JobNow offers on-demand access to live, expert coaches for every stage of the job search. Includes interview, resume and job search help.
The award-winning Broward County Libraries Division, founded in 1974, is the ninth largest library system in the nation by population served and one of the busiest, with more than 9 million walk-in customers visiting its 37 locations annually. The library has more than 3.4 million items and 2,000 computers for public use and offers hundreds of events and programs to meet the needs of the Broward County's diverse community. The library continues its strong emphasis on literacy, after-school programs and electronic access. A comprehensive Web site, www.broward.org, provides information about library activities and links to online catalogs, reference information and databases, and customers are also encouraged to follow Libraries on Facebook and Twitter. Libraries Division also administers the services, programs, collections and exhibits of the Historical Commission.