DATE: January 6, 2010
365 Yearlong Food Drive
FROM: Margaret Stapleton, Assistant Director
Office of Public Communications
Broward County's Fall Festival Food Drive concluded December 31, 2009, and collected approximately 1,500 pounds of food that helped feed many families over the holidays. But the needs of our community continue. As a result, Broward County has launched a "365 Food Drive," a yearlong effort to collect food and toiletries to benefit area food banks. Employees of Broward County Government and the public are encouraged to participate.
The Board of County Commissioners has routinely sponsored food collection drives over the years, but decided that a yearlong food drive would be necessary to meet the incredible increase in demand caused by the economic downturn. As a result, the "365 Food Drive" was launched.
All non-perishable food items, such as canned meat, vegetables and fruit, peanut butter, jelly or jam, soups, pasta and toiletries, are welcome at any time. Participants are also encouraged to watch for monthly announcements about special areas of need. January is the start of a new year, and a good time to focus on collecting items to help Broward County's newest needy residents get off to a healthy beginning, with contributions including baby formula, baby food, baby cereal, diapers and wipes.
Residents are also reminded to take advantage of "buy one-get one free" offers from area grocery stores, by donating the second item to the 365 Food Drive.
Collection boxes are available at the Broward County Main Library and all branch libraries, as well as the following locations:
• Governmental Center, 115 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
• Government Center West, 1 N. University Drive, Plantation
• Aviation Department Administration Offices, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, 100 Aviation Blvd.
• Main Courthouse, 201 S.E. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale
• North Regional County Courthouse, 1600 W. Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach
• South Regional County Courthouse, 3550 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood
• West Regional County Courthouse, 100 N. Pine Island Road, Plantation
• Water and Wastewater Services, 2555 W. Copans Road, Pompano Beach
For more information, call Alinda Montfort at 954-357-6946.